Q3. What is the use of the modem? Define different types of modems.
Ans. A modem is a device or program that enables a computer to transmit data over, for example, telephone or cable lines.
Modems can be of several types:
- Asynchronous Modems
- Synchronous Modems
- Asynchronous Modem
- Asynchronous modems can handle data bytes with start and stop bits.
- There is no separate timing signal or clock between the modem and the DTE.
- The internal timing pulses are synchronized repeatedly to the leading edge of the start pulse .
- Synchronous Modem
- Synchronous modems can handle a continuous stream of data bits but requires a clock signal.
- The data bits are always synchronized to the clock signal.
- There are separate clocks for the data bits being transmitted and received.
- For synchronous transmission of data bits, the DTE can use its internal clock and supply the same to the modem.