Q17. Describe the e-mail service.
Ans. E-mail is one of the most popular and important services provided by the Internet. Today, email has become one of the most widely used tools of communication. Through e-mail, a user can communicate with anyone around the world by sending and receiving electronic messages within seconds. In the 1970s, when the e-mail service had just started, user could only send textual messages. However, today it is possible to send or receive information in different formats ranging from scanned/faxed images to computer graphics and sound and video files along with the e-mail messages. Some of its advantages are:
- Saves paper and allows to edit messages easily,
- Transmits messages faster than other conventional forms of
communication, such as postal service,
- Sends messages according to the sender’s convenience,
- Enables a user to transmit a single message to multiple users
- Provides space to store incoming and outgoing messages for