Q2. Briefly write the history of Java.
Ans. Originally, Java started as an elite project (code named Green) to find a way of allowing different electronic devices such as TV-top boxes and controllers to use a common language.This language for electronic devices was originally named Oak (later named as Java) but failed to find a niche despite its potential.
The history of Java can be as follows:
1991- James Gosling Develops Oak (later renamed Java) language for programming intelligent consumer electronic devices.
1993- World Wide Web explodes
1995- Java formally announced and Incorporated into Netscape web browser.
- Java Development Kit (jdk)1.0 ships
- JavaBeans component architecture Corel Office for Java Preview.
- Sun announces JavaStation Network Computer
- Sun announces 100% Pure Java initiative.
- JDK 1.1 launched.
- Java Servlet API released.
- JDK 1.2 launched.
- Sun introduces Community Source “open” licensing.
- Sun produces a JDK 1.2 for Linux.
- JDK 1.3 released. JDK’s also produced by IBM on multiple platforms.
- Java based Application Servers (BEA, IBM webSphere etc.) become popular.
- J2EE (Java 2 Enterprise Edition), J2SE (Java 2 Standard Edition), J2ME (Java 2 Micro Edition) appear.
2002- Java support for Web services officially released via the Java Web Services Developer Pack.
2005- Java Enterprise System 2005Q4 released.
2006- The Netbeans IDE 5.0 is released. Java SE and ME initial components are released as open source.