Q22. Give the uses of concave mirror. Explain why you would choose concave mirror for these uses.
Ans. Uses of concave mirror are:
- Concave Mirrors are used in torches, search lights, vehicle headlights to get powerful beams of light. This is because when lighted bulb is is placed at the focus of a concave reflector, then it produces a powerful beam of parallel light rays. This helps us see things up to a considerable distance in the darkness of night. Concave reflectors are used in room heaters. To direct heat rays into the whole room.
- It is used as shaving Mirrors to see a large image of the face. This is because when the face is held within the focus of a concave mirror, then the enlarged image of the face is seen in the concave mirror.( because of the same reason it is used as a makeup mirror also).
- It is used by dentist to see the large images of the teeth of patients. This is because when a tooth is within the focus of a concave mirror then an enlarged image of the tooth is seen in the concave mirror.
- Large concave Mirrors are used in the solar furnaces to concentrate sunlight to produce maximum heat. Solar furnace is placed at the focus of a large concave reflector. It focuses the sun’s heat rays on the Furnace due to which the Solar furnace gets very hot.
- Concave dishes used in TV dish antennas to receive TV signals from the distant communication satellites.