Q28. Name types of input devices. In each case briefly describe the purpose of the device and how it is operated.
Ans. There are types of input devices:
1. Data Entry Devices,
2. Voice Input,
3. Video Input,
4. Pointing Devices,
5. Scanning and Reading Devices.
- Data Entry Devices: These devices are used for inputting data( text and numbers). Keyboard is an example of data entry device.
- Voice Input: Microphone( mic) is an example of voice input device. You can speak your words or input a sound through mic and the sound card translates the electrical signals from microphone into digitized form that computer can store and process.
- Video Devices: Webcam is an example of video input. Webcams is essentially camera that is connected to a computer either directly or wireless.
- Pointing Devices: Pointing devices are used to point to the objects on the screen. Mouse, light pen, trackball, touch screen are examples of pointing devices.
- Scanning and Reading Devices: Scanners, MICR, OCR, OMR, bar code reader are the examples of scanning and reading devices.