Application Oriented Problems
Q1. Read the following paragraph carefully. Find six network and communication related abbreviations and give their expanded form along with a single-line definition for each of them:
The RBI is planning to expand its connectivity with all major banks of India. The plan includes providing TCP connectivity through HTTP for easy access points and seeks help from some ISPs to join hands in this venture. In addition, there is a plan to set up IIS and SMTP servers. Some banks will go for the ADSL line while others will use leased line connectivity to access these services. The RBI is also taking help of IIT professors in this venture.
Ans. The following are the six network-related abbreviations along with a brief definition for each:
- Transmission Control Protocol (TCP): Refers to a protocol developed for the Internet to get information from one network device by another.
- Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP): Refers to a protocol that uses TCP to transfer hypertext requests and information between servers and browsers.
- Internet Service Provider (ISP): Refers to an organization that provides access to the Internet through various connectivity modes (such as dial-up modem and cables).
- Internet information Server (IIS): Refers to Microsoft’s proprietary Web server software, and is included with their Windows NT-based operating systems. It also provides the FTP functioning and an easy –to-use management console for administrators.
- Simple Mail Transfer protocol (SMTP): Refers is an Internet standard for electronic mail (e-mail) transmission across IP networks.
- Asymmetric Digital Subscribers Line (ADSL): Refers to one form of the Digital Subscribers Line technology, a data communications technology that enables faster data transmission over a copper telephone lone than conventional voice band modems.