Q28. Explain steps in the process of negotiation.
Ans. The steps in negotiation are as follows :
- Get prepared by setting the objectives of negotiation.
- Determine the limits within which to negotiate.
- Prioritize your objectives under like, intend and must .
- Assess the relative strength and weakness of the parties.
- Arguing: This is the actual process of negotiation.
- Both the parties put forward their expectations before each other.
- The aim is to forcefully inform the other party of the logic and strengths once.
- Both the parties should listen and understand each other.
- Negotiation tends to fail when parties get hostile. Hence the parties should adopt a flexible approach.
- Signaling: The parties should be alert of the following aspects:
- Signals made by each party, to indicate his willingness to move.
- Rewording of the proposals.
- It refers to verbal or nonverbal clues.
- Any signs of Movement in the argument.
- Proposing: It is a gesture to overcome arguments, because arguments cannot be negotiated.
- Packaging: This phase involves considering various proposals that appeared and an overall suggested solution for consideration of the other party.
- Closing and agreeing: Closing means ending the bargaining and reaching a stage where we force the opponent to make a decision on agreeing or otherwise.