Q1. What is a computer? What are its characteristics?
Ans. Computer is an electronic device which is used to store the data, as per given instructions it gives results quickly and accurately.
Characteristics of Computer:
- Speed: In general, no human being can compete to solving the complex computation, faster than computer.
- Accuracy: The degree of accuracy of computer is very high and every calculation is performed with the same accuracy.
- Storage: Computer can store mass storage of data with appropriate format.
- Diligence: A computer is free from tiredness, lack of concentration, fatigue, etc. It can work for hours without creating any error. Due to this capability it overpowers human being in routine type of work.
- Versatility: It means the capacity to perform completely different type of work. You may use your computer to prepare payroll slips. Next moment you may use it for inventory management or to prepare electric bills.
- Power of remembering: Computer has the power of storing any amount of information or data. Any information can be stored and recalled as long as you require it, for any numbers of years.
- NO IQ: Computer is a dumb machine and it cannot do any work without instruction from the user. It is you to decide what you want to do and in what sequence. So a computer cannot take its own decision as you can.
- No Feeling: It does not have feelings or emotion, taste, knowledge and experience. Thus it does not get tired even after long hours of work. It does not distinguish between users.