Q16. What are the characteristics of group personality?
Ans. Following are the characteristics of group personality:
- Spirit of conformity: Individual members realize that in order to get recognition, admiration and respect from others, they have to achieve a spirit of conformity,i. e., abiding by group norms.
- Respects for group values: Every group maintains certain values and ideals, which makes different from others.
- Resistance to change: Generally, group does not respond to social changes. However, the group may bring about it own changes, whether by the influence of its leader or by consensus among group members.
- Group prejudice: Groups have their own clearly evident prejudices, race, religion, nationality etc.
- Collective power: Group are always more powerful than individual.