Q15. What is domain extension?
Ans. The fourth component of a URL is domain extension which specifies the type of website. The domain extension uses standard codes to represent the type of website. For example, com is used to specify that the website is created for commercial purposes. In the URL www.google.com the domain extension indicates that the website is a commercial website.
Q14. Write a short note on the HTTP.
Ans. HTTP is a protocol that is used to access Web pages on a Web server over the Internet. This protocol was developed by World Wide Web in 1990. HTTP works as a foundation for WWW to enable exchange of information on the Internet.
HTTP allows us to access hypertext documents on WWW .Since WWW allows us to access or use multimedia files on the Internet and the hypertext support multimedia, the HTTP protocol generally works in combination with WWW.
Q13. Differentiate between the Internet and Intranet?
Ans. The Internet is a collection of millions of computers connected together across countries and continents, forming a worldwide network. This global network allows easy access and transfer of data and communication among people throughout the world.
The intranet is another type of network. It is generally used to link different computers in an organization. The term intranet is a combination of two words, intra and net. Intra means inside or within; therefore, an intranet implies a network inside something (such as an organization). Unlike the Internet, an intranet is limited to a small area or organization, which means that the Web pages or other resources on an intranet are accessible outside the intended organization.
Q12. Define the following terms:
- Gateway: refers to a device that helps connect networks that are using different protocols.
- Protocol: refers to a set of rules that computers use to communicate with one another over a network, such as the Internet.
- Internet: defines as a worldwide system of computers connected through a network for sharing information.
- Surfing: means moving from one website to the other using a Web browser.
Q11. What is the InterNIC?
Ans. InterNIC is one of the volunteer organizations that help manage and administer the Internet. It is responsible for providing various registration services to the Internet community.
Q10. What are the disadvantages of the internet?
Ans. The following are some disadvantages of using the Internet:
- Serves as a major source of viruses.
- Documents published online sometimes contain confidential data that can be tampered with by unauthorized users.
- Difficult to establish the accuracy of information on the Internet.
- Overexposure or using the Internet in excess can lead to a sense of alienation and loss of one’s social circle.
Q9. What is the use of an Internet for us?
Ans. An Internet can be useful for us in the following ways:
- Provides information on almost any topic.
- Allows us to easily communicate with other people.
- Provides the latest news and happenings around the world any time of the day.
- Provides information on the latest jobs in different fields.
- Allows organizations to advertise their products.
- Allows us to communicate with our friends.
- Saves paper as we can publish documents on the Internet.
Q8. What is a dial-up connection?
Ans. A dial-up connection is temporary connection that uses the public switched telephone network (PSTN) to connect to the Internet. This type of connection is set up between a computer and the ISP server. The dial up connection is established with the help of a modem (a device that allows the computer to transfer data over a phone line).
Q7. List the attributes of WWW.
Ans. The following are some of the attributes of WWW:
- User friendly: The WWW resources are highly user-friendly. They work smoothly with most Internet browsers, such as Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.
- Multimedia documents: WWW allows Internet users to create a display multimedia web page that contains text along with various multimedia elements, such as graphics, audio, video, animation and text.
- Interactive: WWW provides inter activity through its following components:
- Input boxes, such as text boxes and checkboxes
- Frames: WWW support frames that allow us to display more than one independent section on the same web page.
Q6. List the advantages and disadvantages of different types of Internet connections available in the market.
Ans. The advantages and disadvantages of each Internet connection type are shown in the following table:
|Type of Internet
- Available at a very low cost.
- Easily available everywhere.
- Very slow.
- Cannot make a phone call when using the Internet.
- · Faster than a dial-up connection.
- Continuous connection to the Internet.
- More expensive than dial-up connection.
- Not available in remote areas.
- Least expensive to set up.
- Ideal for all locations.
- Connectivity is never a problem.
- Vulnerable to security attacks.