Q2. What do you understand by computer security, various threats to computer security and possible solutions to computer security?
Ans. Computer security is the ability of a system to protect information and system resources with respect to confidentiality and integrity.
Some common threads two computer security are as follows:
- PC intrusion
a.) Denial of services
c.) Password guessing
1.Computer virus: Computer viruses are malicious codes/ programs that cause damage to data and files on a system. Viruses can attack any part of a computer’s software such as boot block, operating system, system areas, files and applications- program- macros. Two other similar programs also cause virus like effects. These are:
a.) Worms: A worm is a self- replicating program which eats up the entire disc space or memory. A warm keeps on creating its copies until all the disc space memory is filled.
b.) Trojan horse: A Trojan horse Is a program that appears harmless (such as a text editor or a utility program) but actually performs malicious functions such as deleting or damaging files.
2. Spyware: Spyware is software which is installed on your computer to spy on activities and report this data to people willing to pay for it. It tracks the users behavior and reports information back to a central source. They are used to spy on someone either for legal or illegal purpose.
3. Adware: These are the programs that deliver unwanted ads to computer (generally in popup form). They consume your network bandwidth.
4. Spamming: Spamming refers to the sending of bulk mail by an unidentified or identified source. In non malicious form, bulk advertising mail is sent to many accounts. In malicious form, the attacker keeps on sending bulk mail until the mail server runs out of disc space.
5. PC intrusion: Every personal computer (PC) connected to Internet is a potential target for hackers. Computers are under constant attack from cyber vandals.
6. Phishing: In phishing, an imposter uses an authentic looking email or website to trick recipients into giving out sensitive personal information. Though it appears genuine, you may be taken to a fraudulent site where all your sensitive information are obtained and data is used for cyber crimes and frauds.
The solution to these threats are in two ways:
- Active Protection: Installing and properly using an antivirus software that includes internet security-which includes protection against threats such as virus, Spyware, and PC intrusion.
- Preventive Measures: Even though security programs may actively detect and eliminate any threats your PC encounters, you should always help prevent these issues from ever arising.